Webinar: Effectively serving the LGBTQ+ community
Growing Your Toolkit to Effectively Serve the LGBTQ+ Community
This 4-hour webinar will offer both the foundational knowledge needed to effectively engage with members of the LGBTQ+ community and the tools/resources necessary to support their mental health and well-being. You will be registered for the entire presentation; however, if you do not need the foundational information, you may join at 2:30pm for the second half.
First Half (First 2 hours): Foundational Knowledge for Effectively Serving the LGBTQ+ Community
Description: In this workshop, we will explore the basic terminology and concepts important in the LGBTQ+ community. We will discuss the concepts of sex, gender, sexuality, and sexual orientation, and how labels are applied to describe one’s experience of their identity. We will also practice using gender-neutral pronouns and discuss the coming out process. Finally, we will discuss common strategies for engaging with LGBTQ+ individuals in ways that are inclusive and honor their lived experiences.
- Participants will gain knowledge of common terminology within the LGBT+ community.
- Participants will learn how to differentiate between various aspects of identity that are commonly conflated by those outside of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Participants will learn about multiple gender-neutral pronouns and practice using them.
- Participants will gain tips for working with LGBTQ+ people.
Second Half: LGBTQ+ Identity Development and Mental Health Considerations
Description: In this workshop, we will explore developmental considerations for LGBTQ+ people. Additionally, we will discuss various models of identity development processes. We will also explore risk factors and resilience, and specific mental health considerations.
- Participants will gain an understanding of the developmental context for LGBTQ+ identity.
- Participants will gain knowledge of how gender and sexuality identity develop and intersect.
- Participants will learn about various mental health consideration