Cannabis use and misuse
Addressing cannabis use and misuse is a state priority.
- Accessibility is high. There are 463 locations in Washington to obtain retail and/or medical cannabis (Washington Liquor and Cannabis Board, July 2019).
- About 1 in 10 cannabis users will develop a substance use disorder. For people who begin using before the age of 18, that number rises to 1 in 6. When youth use cannabis they can experience a reduction in their ability to concentrate, difficulty with memory, trouble learning and reduce significant brain connections (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).
Cannabis use by youth in Washington State:
- Almost 18 percent of 10th grade students report using cannabis in the past 30 days (Healthy Youth Survey, 2018).
- One in three 10th grade students thought there was a slight risk or no risk of using cannabis regularly (Healthy Youth Survey, 2018).
Prevention strategies are being implemented throughout the state at local, county, and state levels, across the Continuum of Care that influence multiple domains and risk and protective factors. Here is a list of some state-wide initiatives focused specifically on cannabis:
- Division of Behavioral Health and Recovery I-502 Dedicated Marijuana Account Prevention Plan Implementation
- Department of Health - Youth Marijuana Prevention and Education Program, including statewide media campaigns with cannabis use and misuse prevention messaging: You Can, Under The Influence… Of You and Know This About Cannabis
- Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board - Alcohol and Cannabis Education
- Washington Healthy Youth Coalition – a partnership of Washington State government agencies and organization with a shared mission to prevent and reduce youth alcohol and cannabis use.
- University of Washington Alcohol & Drug Abuse Institute – support of the Learn About Cannabis website providing science-based information for the public.
- Northwest High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (NW HIDTA) - provides cannabis prevention materials and impact reports.
- You Can - Department of Health Cannabis Prevention and Education Program youth cannabis use prevention media campaign for teens partner toolkit
Toolkit password: Prevention&Education
- Under The Influence… Of You - Department of Health Cannabis Prevention and Education Program Youth cannabis use prevention media campaign for adult influencers partner toolkit
Toolkit password: InfluentialAdults
- Know This About Cannabis - Department of Health Cannabis Prevention and Education Program resource for adult consumer
- Partner toolkit
- Toolkit password: ConsumerEducation
- Hemp-Derived Synthetic Cannabinoids Fact Sheet
- I-502 Dedicated Cannabis Account DBHR Prevention Plan Implementation
- Washington's Best Practices for Substance Abuse Prevention and Mental Health Promotion Guide
- Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board
- Start Talking Now - website for parents supported by the Washington Healthy Youth Coalition
- Learn About Cannabis - University of Washington Alcohol & Drug Abuse Institute
- Marijuana (Cannabis) Topic Page – Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Tips for Teens: The Truth About Marijuana - Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Policy and Program Manager