Score big with everyone: Hosting tips for a super bowl party with inclusive "cheers"
As football fans and Swifties across the country are preparing for this year's super bowl, it's important to remember that some people may choose to cheer their team to victory without consuming alcohol or using cannabis. Regardless of why someone chooses to pass, their decision should be honored and respected.
Here are some tips to ensure the gatherings you're attending or hosting are inclusive of all guests and prioritize their safety:
- Provide alcohol-free options: Stock up on water, juices, and sparkling sodas to offer your guests a variety of refreshing choices.
- Focus on food: Put an emphasis on delicious snacks and meals to complement the social atmosphere, shifting the attention away from alcoholic beverages.
- Clearly label food and drinks: Ensure that guests are informed about which foods and drinks contain alcohol or cannabis, allowing them to make informed choices.
- Avoid drawing attention: Refrain from singling out guests who opt not to drink or use cannabis; everyone's preferences should be respected without the need for explanation or justification.
- Address potential triggers: Be mindful of potential triggers for individuals struggling with alcohol-related issues. Consider serving alcoholic beverages discreetly in cups or glasses rather than prominently displaying bottles.
- Establish a safe ride plan: Prior to the party, encourage guests to designate a sober driver or arrange rideshare services to ensure a safe journey home. Make it your personal responsibility to prevent impaired driving - order a rideshare, call a cab, or offer your guests a safe place to sleep.
It's important to recognize that not all alcoholic beverages are equal in terms of their effects. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) offers alcohol calculators to assess the number of standard drinks in common beverages and mixed drinks. These tools can help promote informed decision-making and responsible consumption.
We wish you a safe Super Bowl Sunday filled with excitement, camaraderie, and unforgettable moments on and off the field!