Registration for Healthy Youth Survey 2021 is now open!
Registration for the 2021 Washington State Healthy Youth Survey (HYS) is open and will end June 30th. Schools in Washington state with students in grades 6, 8, 10, or 12 are eligible to participate. Participation is free to schools in 2021.
This survey is a joint effort between the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI), Department of Health (DOH), the Health Care Authority’s Division of Behavioral Health and Recovery (HCA/DBHR), and the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (WSLCB).
The HYS is now an electronic survey (e-survey). HYS was redesigned to be administered electronically with students in the classroom or doing online learning. If your school is unable to administer the survey online, please contact Health Care Authority at HCAHealthyYouthSurvey@hca.wa.gov to discuss your options.
- The HYS will be administered during the weeks of October 11-29.
- The survey takes about 50 minutes and should be administered during a class period.
- Parents and students must be notified about the survey using the approved survey notification letter and methods. Schools must also verify that they followed the proper notification by September 24th.
- Student participation is completely voluntary and anonymous.
- An alternative activity must be available for those students that choose not to participate in the survey.
- Small school districts can also survey additional grades 7, 9 and 11.
To register your school(s), log into www.AskHYS.net and select “Registration”, from the 2021 HYS drop down menu. If you need an AskHYS login, contact your district data security manager to add AskHYS to your OSPI EDS permissions.
- If you registered your school(s) for HYS 2020, you can quickly re-register your school. Log into www.AskHYS.net and select “Registration” from the 2021 HYS drop down menu and update your information.
The survey includes questions regarding alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use; community, school, and family risk and protective factors; safety and violence; diet and nutrition; health, health care, and exercise.
- Sexual behavior and sexual abuse questions are optional for students in grade 8 to 12. Schools can request the optional questions on the registration form.
- Sexual orientation and gender identity questions are now included on the survey for students in grades 8 to 12. If schools do not want to ask the sexual orientation and gender identity questions, they can apply for an exemption by contacting the Health Care Authority at HCAHealthyYouthSurvey@hca.wa.gov.
- Sexual orientation, gender identify, sexual behavior and sexual abuse questions are not asked to students in 6 and 7th grade.
If you have questions about HYS registration, please contact Susan Richardson, Looking Glass Analytics, at surveyadmin@askHYS.net.
If you have any questions about the HYS, please contact Emily Maughan, at 360-725-6030, or email email@example.com. The OSPI TTY number is 360-664-3631.