What is a community assessment (needs assessment)?
A community assessment is a systematic process for examining the current conditions of a situation (such as substance abuse) and to identify the level of risk and protection in your community.
Why do we need to complete a community assessment?
A community assessment will assist you in:
- Creating an objective profile of your community
- Determining the geographic and demographic areas that are at greatest risk
- Ensuring you are putting your time and money where it will have the greatest impact
- Showing policy makers the need for funding your prevention programs
- Identifying research-based strategies to implement in your community
For professional development and training opportunities, visit the Training Calendar and OWL E-Learning.