The site for substance use disorder prevention and mental health promotion professionals and volunteers.

Home » Behavioral health agencies can bill for naloxone

Behavioral health agencies can bill for naloxone

Opioid treatment programs and certified and licensed behavioral health agencies (BHAs) may be reimbursed for giving prepackaged naloxone to clients at risk of an opioid overdose.

What claim type is used to bill for naloxone?

The provider uses claim type J-professional (837p) when billing for naloxone.

Who can bill for naloxone?

Certified or licensed behavioral health agencies (BHAs) provided by any of the following services:

  • Mental health outpatient use
  • Substance use disorders outpatient and inpatient
  • Opioid treatment programs
  • Secure withdrawal management
  • Evaluation and treatment
  • Psychiatric hospitals

For more information