Washington State Legislative Youth Advisory Council for high-school-aged youth
Applications for the Washington Legislative Youth Advisory Council (LYAC) are open right now! LYAC is codified in law as the official nonpartisan youth advisory body to the State Legislature, and is now accepting applications for the 2021-2023 cohort.
Overseen by the Office of the Lieutenant Governor and Washington State Leadership Board, LYAC is composed of 22 student members from a wide variety of geographic, political, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Some of LYAC’s several projects include:
- Meeting with senators and representatives to advocate for policies relevant to youth priorities;
- Testifying before the state legislature in support of legislation;
- Advising government officials, policymakers, and leaders in various fields;
- Collaborating with nearly 200 community organizations to promote statewide change;
- Hosting events around the state with hundreds of youth attendees;
- Talking with media outlets such as the Associated Press, Teen Vogue, and KING-5 about student voice;
- Partnering with government agencies such as the Attorney General’s Office and the Department of Health to provide your perspective; and
- Writing, lobbying for, and passing actual laws.
LYAC members each serve a two-year term, during which they will be at the forefront of civic engagement and governmental progress. To learn more, visit walyac.org.
- Be entering 9th, 10th, or 11th grade in Fall 2021
- Have consent of their parent or guardian
- Live in Washington State
The application page can be found at walyac.org. All applications must be submitted by March 31, 2021 at 11:59 PM. Please feel free to share the application information with youth you know who may be interested. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.