February is African American History Month
Join us in celebrating the rich history of Black and African Americans in our nation and our state.
Learn about African American History:
- Explore the rich and creative expression of Black artists on the ARTS WA website.
- Learn about Black Heritage in Washington State throughout history on The Black Heritage Society of Washington State’s website.
- Check out the virtual programming at the Northwest African American Museum.
- Learn how to talk about Race at the National Museum of African American History and Culture.
- Read about the 1619 Project.
Prevention events and resources
- Upcoming listening sessions: The role of prevention professionals in supporting People of Color:
- Engagement in the Black Community: A Virtual Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC) Summit: February 25 and 26 - Registration information.
- Recorded webinars:
- Why health equity matters in prevention: Part 1 and Part 2
- Health disparities and the impact of COVID-19 on the African-American and Black community
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration - Black/African American Behavioral Health Equity
- National Institute of Mental Health - Addressing the Crisis of Black Youth Suicide
Organizations working against systematic racism:
- Southern Poverty Law Center
- Color of Change
- Center for Policing Equity
- Campaign Zero
- American Civil Liberties Union
- First, Listen. Then, Learn: Anti-Racism Resources For White People
- A Detailed List of Anti-Racism Resources: Book, movie recommendations, and more
- Take Action: A List of Ways You Can Stand In Solidarity with the Black Community
- 10 Steps To Non-Optical Allyship
Read Black literature: